Anyone might be feeling uncertain when a crack or chip forms in their tooth, especially a wisdom tooth, but the question is, is it really a matter or urgency? To what extent should you see out dental care? Clarifying this question is important as it allows patients to understand when it’s time to visit a dentist in Yaletown, and when their body can heal on its own.
When you come into Abba Dental for routine or emergency treatment, our staff can help you relieve any discomfort and get your smile back to operating and looking beautiful.
What are the Signs of a Broken Wisdom Tooth?
There are several symptoms that indicate a damaged wisdom tooth and should be addressed right away. One common sign is having persistent pain or soreness in the back of your mouth, namely when you’re chewing. Redness or swelling around your unhealthy tooth can manifest, as well as a bad taste in your mouth or other forms of oral pain, which might be indicative of an infection.
A broken tooth can occasionally reveal delicate inner layers, making a person more sensitive to heat or cold. Should you become aware of any of these symptoms, schedule an appointment with your dentist right away to ensure optimal dental health and pain relief through a comprehensive examination and suitable management.
What Causes Wisdom Tooth Fractures
Wisdom tooth fractures can occur due to various factors, often associated with their late eruption and limited space in the jaw. Reasons for this can include:
- Impaction. When wisdom teeth don’t fully emerge or emerge at odd angles, they can exert pressure on neighbouring teeth, leading to fractures.
- Crowding. Limited space in the jaw can cause wisdom teeth to crowd, increasing the risk of fractures.
- Cavities. Decay in wisdom teeth may weaken the structure, making them more susceptible to fractures.
- Bruxism (Teeth Grinding). Habitual teeth grinding, especially during sleep, can contribute to the wear and fracture of wisdom teeth.
Understanding these causes helps in preventive care and early intervention to avoid complications associated with broken wisdom teeth. If you experience symptoms, consult your dentist for appropriate guidance and treatment. Experience prompt and expert emergency dental treatment for immediate relief.
Is a Broken Wisdom Tooth an Emergency?
If you’re concerned that your third molars are in need of immediate attention, keep an eye out for these symptoms; should they arise, contact a local dental professional.
- Extreme Pain. You should seek emergency care if you are in constant, severe pain that no over-the-counter pain relievers can alleviate.
- Excessive Bleeding. Excessive bleeding from a damaged wisdom tooth indicates an urgent need for professional care.
- Impaired Functionality. If you are having trouble eating or speaking as a result of the fractured tooth, you should visit your dentist as soon as possible for an evaluation and treatment.
Seeking professional care at an emergency dentistry clinic as soon as possible ensures faster relief and reduces the risk of problems.
Immediate Actions for a Broken Wisdom Tooth
If you suspect a broken wisdom tooth, the following steps will help you care for your smile while you wait to see a dentist:
Step 1) Rinse Gently. Rinse your mouth with warm water to clean the area, but avoid vigorous rinsing to prevent further damage.
Step 2) Control Bleeding. Apply gentle pressure with a clean gauze or cloth to control any bleeding. If bleeding persists, consider using a damp tea bag, as tannins can help clot blood.
Step 3) Reduce Swelling. To reduce swelling and numb the region, place a cold compress on the outside of your cheek.
Step 4) Pain Medication. Two over-the-counter pain relievers that can help with pain management are acetaminophen and ibuprofen. Avoid using aspirin since it can increase bleeding.
Step 5) Avoid Certain Foods. Opt for soft foods and avoid chewing on the side of the broken tooth. Avoiding foods that are hot, cold, or spicy is also advised.
With all this said, it is still crucial to have your tooth assessed by a dentist. They can take x-rays and ensure that your treatment is customized to meet your requirements and preferences.
When to Seek Emergency Dental Care
Navigating when to seek emergency dental care is crucial for timely intervention. Let’s explore the key indicators in an effective way.
- Persistent Pain. If pain persists or intensifies despite initial measures, seek emergency dental care for a thorough evaluation.
- Visible Trauma. Obvious damage or displacement of a tooth requires immediate attention to prevent further complications.
- Fever and Swelling. Signs of infection, such as fever and severe swelling, necessitate urgent dental evaluation to address and manage potential complications.
At the end of the day, even if you don’t think you need to acquire emergency dental care, it is always better to get in touch with a dentist regardless. They will be able to prescribe the proper solution that will effectively manage any issues you’re dealing with, and ultimately help safeguard your oral health.
Navigating Oral Wellness with Abba Dental
Your smile is in good hands at Abba Dental. Our family-friendly, personalized approach guarantees a smooth and positive dental experience. We are your partner in attaining long-term oral health, from routine checkups to advanced treatments.
Make an appointment today and let us help you achieve a brighter, healthier smile.