If you notice a clicking or popping sound in your jaw when eating, or you wake up in the morning to find that your jaw is stiff and sore, you may suffer from temporomandibular disorder, also known as TMJ.
The exact cause of TMJ is very hard to determine. Factors such as genetics, lifestyle, injury, and arthritis all play a role when it comes to TMJ. Sometimes poor posture can even be the culprit behind jaw pain.
If you suffer from TMJ, you should visit our dentist in Yaletown for TMJ treatment near you. They will provide you with the tools to get some relief from the painful symptoms caused by TMJ.
What is the Temporomandibular Joint?
The temporomandibular joint, or the TMJ, is the hinge that connects your jaw to your skull. Many people experience pain in this area. Luckily, most cases can be addressed with lifestyle changes and TMJ exercises provided by our dentist near you.
What is TMJ Physical Therapy?
When you visit ABBA Dental for TMJ pain, our dentist will thoroughly examine your jaw to determine what might be going on.
After this, they may prescribe you a series of jaw exercises to help relieve your symptoms. Some of these may include:
- Practicing relaxing your jaw: This TMJ treatment in Yaletown is best for those prone to clenching and grinding their teeth. Place your tongue behind your teeth on the roof of your mouth and allow your mouth to relax with your teeth apart. Hold your jaw here for 10 seconds and repeat this exercise five times daily.
- Strengthen your neck: Your neck and TMJ are connected, and weak muscles in your neck can contribute to your jaw pain. One exercise that may help is lying flat on your back, bringing your chin toward your chest, holding for about five seconds, and repeating ten times twice daily.
- Resisted mouth opening and closing: Close your mouth and put your fist underneath your chin. Use your fist as a gentle resistance as you open your mouth. Make sure to go slow with this and repeat five times, twice a day.
Other TMJ Treatments
On top of these exercises, you can use some of the following at-home remedies to help relieve your pain:
- Mouthguards: these can be provided by Abba Dental and worn to prevent clenching and grinding and realign your jaw.
- Ice: apply ice to your jaw for 10-15 minutes to help reduce pain.
- Stress management: if you have been under much stress lately, try breathing exercises to teach your body to stay calm and avoid stress-related pain.
- Lifestyle changes: While healing, avoid eating overly chewy foods such as steak or gum and opening your mouth wide.
- Use anti-inflammatories: over-the-counter medication such as ibuprofen can be used for temporary pain relief, but avoid taking these habitually as they can cause problems with your overall health when used long-term.
Visit a TMJ Specialist Near You
TMJ is a painful and debilitating disorder that may not disappear with home remedies alone. If you believe you are suffering from TMJ, don’t hesitate to get the help you need. Our team at Abba Dental is happy to provide you with TMJ treatment options so you can return to enjoying the activities you love. Please get in touch with our clinic to book a consultation today!